There’s nothing your dog loves more than a tasty snack to get their lips smacking. Dog chews are usually a real winner in most doggy households and quite possibly the holy grail of all dog treats. Your pooch can’t seem to get enough of them, but there is so much more to giving your dog chews than it would appear.
Dog chews are ideal for small pups who are going through the growing phase and are teething. Similar to what babies and toddlers experience, tooth pain can be unbearable and sometimes you just need something to take the edge off. Dog chews are ideal for pups to get their newly growing teeth around and can help considerably with pain from incoming teeth.
Older dogs can also benefit majorly from having dog chews. They help to keep your dog’s jaw nice and strong as well as being a great way for keeping teeth healthy and clean. They are also a great way to combat boredom, as chews tend to last a lot longer than regular treats keeping your doggo fully occupied for a longer period of time. Dogs with mild anxiety can find chews to be very comforting, which aids in lowering stress levels.
There are thousands of dog chews out there available to buy, all with different features and functions. It can be difficult to make a choice about which one will be right for your dog, so we’ve put together a handy guide below with more information about the best dog chews on the market today. Check out our top 10 below.
10 Best Dog Chews in 2020
Greenies is a major worldwide brand, who pretty much takes over the whole dog treat market. With a clear, solid following of customers, their treats are delicious and nutritious. Made with all-natural ingredients and added vitamins and minerals, your dog will think these are the crème de la crème.
Vets highly recommend this brand and who are we to argue? Your vet only wants the very best for your canine friend as do you, so taking their advice is vitally important. Vet’s love this product because of the natural, highly soluble ingredients, making these so easy for your dog to digest.
Morning breath is just not nice. Dog breath is quite possibly vile, and these chews provide a tasty snack for your best friend, that actively cleans teeth and gums for optimum hygiene, leaving their breath staying fresh all day long. Thank goodness for that!
- Vet Recommended – the pros know!
- Actively keeps teeth and gums clean for optimum hygiene.
- Freshens breath all day long (thumbs up!).
- Make sure you keep the seal fully closed or these chews go hard.
The Ecokind dog chews are definitely as the name suggests ‘one of a kind’ and are well deserving of our #2 spot. They are made from all-natural, grade A quality ingredients sourced directly from Nepal and are great for dogs that suffer from allergies thanks to the gluten and lactose-free recipe.
The chews are made from an old ancient recipe, with all ingredients sourced from the Himalayas. Made from 100% yak’s and cow’s milk, these have intentionally been processed to remove lactose, making them easy to digest and great for any doggo with very sensitive stomachs.
These odorless chews are the absolute perfect size for your canine friend. They are approx. 6-8 inches in length and 1-2 inches thick making the perfect size to keep your dog occupied for hours on end. There’s nothing worse than giving your dog a chew that has been demolished in 5 mins, it absolutely defeats the object.
- Lactose and gluten-free, and made with all-natural ingredients.
- Long-lasting, so your dog is entertained for hours rather than minutes.
- Easily digestible and ideal for delicate stomachs.
- These can give some dogs the poops!
The Virbac Oral Hygiene dog chews are highly palatable and vet recommended. That comes in a decent sized bag of 30 large chews and is absolutely ideal for dogs over 50 pounds. These poultry flavored chews are a real winner and provide a taste that dogs truly can’t get enough of.
Your dog’s dental hygiene is vitally important and a medical area that can be difficult to monitor. These chews feature an exclusive dual enzyme system and abrasive texture that helps to reduce plaque and tartar build-up, ensuring your dog is happy and healthy.
Ideal for Bigger Dogs
These are great for bigger dogs and those over 50lbs. The chews are large in size which is a must for dogs with bigger mouths, who can easily bite through the smaller chews in a matter of minutes (possibly seconds!). You ideally want a chew that lasts for a reasonable period of time to keep your dog sufficiently entertained.
- Great for dogs over 50lbs as the chews are large enough to keep them occupied for a while.
- It helps to prevent a build-up of plaque and tartar that can cause oral complications.
- High palatable – a great taste dogs love.
- Made with real rawhide which may not be some owner’s first choice of ingredients, as it can be a choking hazard. On the plus side, these treats are large in size, so it is unlikely to be a problem.
4. Smart Sticks
Smart Sticks made by the Smartbone brand are a very popular choice of dog chews and give your dog the ultimate taste explosion! They look just like pieces of candy, which is super appealing (no I don’t want to try them myself thanks), but are a very healthy option, enriched with vitamins and minerals, and help to maintain healthy teeth.
Rawhide for your dog is quite a sensitive subject. Some owners are completely ok with rawhide ingredients in their dog’s favorite treats, whilst others feel it is too much of a potential choke risk. If the latter is you, these chews are the ideal option and are completely rawhide-free for complete peace of mind.
Easy to Digest
A healthy digestive system is vital for your dog’s wellbeing and providing the right treats for your dog can most certainly help. These chews are super easy for your dog to digest and are made with wholesome vegetables, real chicken, and absolutely no rawhide, making this a highly digestible chew for your doggo.
- Absolutely no rawhide, to help avoid choke risks.
- Easily digestible and made with wholesome ingredients.
- It looks like a piece of candy and made with peanut butter for an awesome tasting chew.
- The chew sticks are small and we feel they are a bit overpriced for what you actually get.
Dream Sticks are made by the same company as our previous product and provide an alternative offering that is made with the same high-quality ingredients as the Smart Sticks but at a much better price. The packs come as 15 chews per pack and are enriched with vitamins and minerals to ensure optimal health for your dog.
These tasty chews are made with real meat, beef or chicken, wholesome vegetables and are completely rawhide free. Dogs can’t get enough of the irresistible meaty taste and we’re pretty sure when they go off for a snooze, these are what dreams are made of.
Good Value for Money
We don’t really understand why these chews are much more economical on price than their sister branded chews, but what we do know is, these are much better value for money and unless your dog is particularly pining for the other, we would definitely opt for these instead.
- Real chicken or beef and completely rawhide free.
- Packed with vitamins and minerals, to ensure a healthy, happy dog.
- A cost that won’t break the bank. Good value for money.
- These are not as long-lasting for aggressive chewers.
The Dingo twist sticks are a fun and funky brand of dog chews that have a very loyal customer following and some fantastic reviews. They are perfect for any size dog and a great source of protein that is absolutely bursting with flavor to tempt even the fussiest of eaters.
Made with real chicken jerky and wrapped in rawhide, the twist design makes it much harder for your dog to get to the meaty center of these chews which is great for encouraging longer chewing for healthy teeth and will keep your doggo occupied for a pretty decent amount of time.
A big bag
These come in a large pack of 50 chews, unlike some other brands that only provide 10-15 per bag. We love the fact we won’t have to keep shopping too regularly for these and with so many chews per pack, we consider this to be a fantastic buy and great value for money.
- Long-lasting, twisty shape to make it harder for your dog to get to the meaty centre.
- Bursting with flavour to encourage fussy eaters.
- Fantastic value for money and 50 chews per bag.
- Wrapped in rawhide which may not be every owner’s preference.
- It contains Sorbitol and Sugar, so it will not be very helpful for watching calories.
Oravet is the #1 choice of dog chew for veterinary professionals for their own dogs and is sold in veterinary practices worldwide. Made specifically to provide your dog with great oral hygiene, these individually wrapped chews are easy to digest and have a unique flavor that dogs absolutely love!
Watching your pet’s weight is important and too many treats can quite often be the cause of your dog’s weight gain. These chews have been produced as a once a day treat that is low in calories but still holds a great taste. A really easy way to control and monitor your dog’s calorie intake.
These been made with a unique ingredient called Delmopinol, which has been an ingredient used in human oral hygiene products for many years. Its primary function is to create a barrier that prevents bacterial attachment, which is the root cause of plaque, tartar, and bad breath.
- Calorie controlled making it easy to manage and maintain weight gain.
- Made with Delmopinol for all-round health hygiene.
- Individually wrapped for freshness.
- The thick packaging is difficult to open, but at least you know your dog’s chews are secure.
8. Best Bully
The Best Bully is a natural dog chew, made from prime thick-cut cow’s ears and probably more ideal for the less squeamish dog owner. They ensure all their treats come from high-quality, free-range, grass-fed beef and all products are fully hand-inspected and approved by the USDA/FDA for peace of mind.
Lots of products on the market these days are packed full of unnecessary ingredients and chemicals and it makes us wonder why? This product is minimally processed and are never bleached or chemically treated, ensuring every chew that passes your dog’s lips is as natural as can be.
The chews are made with cow’s ears that are naturally low in fat, making this a super healthy treat that your dog will love. The recipe also doesn’t contain any grains or gluten which is ideal for dogs with allergies, and is free from hormones, additives, and any unhealthy chemicals.
- Chemical-free and minimally processed.
- Low fat, which can help with weight monitoring.
- Free from grains and gluten to cater for dogs with allergies.
- The chews don’t last as long as real rawhide but are definitely a safer alternative.
- These are on the expensive side and the pack won’t last you very long.
9. Good ‘N’ Fun
The Good ‘N’ Fun dog chews are……well…exactly that, good and fun! They look like something you would pick up at the fairground that’s made of candy and are a very appealing treat for your dog. They come in a very substantial size of 70 chews per pack, which is great value for money and will keep your dog entertained for forever and a day.
They smell and taste so good! (no I didn’t have a sneaky try, because that would just be gross!), but in your dog’s opinion these will be absolute heaven. The chews are made with a savory combination of three different flavors to cater to the likes of any taste buds. Made from real beef rawhide and pork, then wrapped with real chicken, your dog won’t be able to get enough of these.
Great Protein Source
Adequate amounts of protein are important in any doggy diet and these chews will provide your canine friend with a likely, much-needed protein boost. Made with 3 different types of meats, these provide a healthy and delicious way to satisfy your dog’s natural urge to chew.
- An amazing taste that your canine friend won’t be able to get enough of (keep the cupboards locked!).
- High in protein for optimum health.
- A great value product, with 70 chews per pack and cheaper to buy online than in stores.
- Sometimes the chews can be a little inconsistent in size. One can have a lot of meat on them and others have close to none.
- Made with rawhide and that may not suit everyone.
10. True Chews
True chews are a very worthy addition to our top 10 spots. Sourced in the USA and made from real jerky cuts and generous cuts of vegetables, these chicken pot pie flavor chews will have your loyal companion begging for more. These do look rather tasty if I do say so myself!
This product is made with only the best natural ingredients and does not contain any yucky bits that can be found in some dog treats. These have been made from chickens raised with no antibiotics ever and also contain no artificial colors or preservatives.
Having a dog with certain allergies can particularly frustrating for owners when trying to buy food that will not trigger those intolerances. With these, you are in safe hands, as their recipes are all made with no corn, no wheat, and no soy, making this a suitable option for most dogs.
- Real jerky cuts with a super enticing flavor.
- Natural ingredients with no antibiotics (say goodbye to the yucky bits).
- Great for dogs with corn, wheat, and soy allergies.
- This is a much softer chew than some of the others and may not be as suitable for bigger dogs who are likely to demolish in seconds!
Chews, chews, and more dog chews! Dogs just can’t seem to get enough of them and with so many great recipes and flavors on the market who can blame them. Whether you are looking for calorie control, something to help with dental hygiene, or are genuinely just looking for a dog chew that smells and tastes great, there’s something out there for every doggy appetite. Why not try one of the amazing chews from our list to keep your special friend active and busy for hours.